Thursday, June 2, 2011

four


I love how deceivingly simple this dress looks. The construction was actually quite complex and the design was entirely driven from the fact that I couldn't use the popular and prominent logo on the front of my brother-in-law's former dress shirt . 



If I laid out my pattern as I had done in the previous designs where the buttons are on the front of the dress, then the logo would be just within the left arm hole of the dress. Even if I wanted to keep the logo, I wouldn't have been satisfied with this location. So the challenge was to salvage and repurpose the button placket without taking the logo with it. This was a great design opportunity and lead me to relocate the button placket, as a narrow strip to the side of the shirt, and then use the original side seams for the front and back centers of the dress.  I also cut the bottom of the dress to swoop up slightly at the front and back centers to give the dress a unique shape. To facilitate ease of wear, I added a piece of the existing button placket to the left shoulder. This kept the buttons on axis and also gave the dress a bit of asymmetrical detailing.  



I am very proud of this dress because of the difficulty of construction and its conceptual design, but I think it is best appreciated in person; especially when on Adeline.




1 comment:

  1. i love all these dresses! You are the most talented person I know! and...forgot to tell you this on the phone the other day, but i showed my parents and a good friend your new blog and EVERYONE is loving this idea. love you!

    ReplyDelete