Tuesday, February 14, 2012

heirloom




















While the majority of my work lately has been focused on transforming men's dress shirts, I was recently tasked with a very special request: take these two nightgowns and redesign them into summer dresses. 
  



















With the first dress I was inspired to showcase the eyelet fabric located on the bottom of the gown and at the same time I wanted to incorporate the feminine ribbon and lace detail at the neckline in a new way. The result was a simple bodice that meets a slightly gathered skirt trimmed with original lace detail. I repurposed the original shoulder straps from the gown as the ties at the back of the dress. 



For the second dress, I decided to keep the original design of the gown in tact and altered it to fit the new scale of an 18 month old. 





















The sweet little girl who will soon wear these dresses will probably have no idea that she's wearing an heirloom, but her grandmother (who originally wore these gowns) and her mother will surely cherish them. It was an honor to work on these truly precious artifacts. 



I am hopeful and excited that these two dresses will open an additional realm of work for Little Grey Line.


UPDATE:  One of the gown dresses didn't fit perfectly so I was able to alter it by redesigning the neckline. The added monogram truly makes the dress in my opinion. 



No comments:

Post a Comment