Monday, February 13, 2012

a dress for a big sister

I have been making a great deal of dresses lately through commissions I have received, but I try to sneak in one for my daughter, Adeline, every chance I get. 




This shirt was one that my husband could no longer wear since losing some weight recently. It is a really beautiful white dress shirt with thin navy blue and purple pin stripes so I wanted to do something special with it. 





















Since Adeline will be a big sister in less than two months, I thought it would be fun to make a special dress just for her. Before we found out that our second child would be a boy, I was saving everything I made in case baby number two was a girl. Now that we know Adeline will be our only daughter I feel more comfortable personalizing the things I make for her, thus the monogram.




This dress incorporates a new sleeve design which I really love. I used a portion of the original shirt sleeve, but rotated the seam that is usually located on the underside of the arm to the top to add a new detail. Additionally, I fashioned it into a modified lantern sleeve which is fitted on the upper-arm and then fuller at the fore arm and wrist. 





















Adeline wore this dress Saturday to a baby shower my sister hosted for our soon-to-arrive little boy. What special memories I will have of her in this dress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment